Friday, October 24, 2008

Maina protests, Maina Beatings, Maina Arrests, In Prison and then Freedom: A long voyage in short time

On October 11, 2008 I, Sebastian Rodrigues was on very special assignment – offering solidarity to the one of the unique protests in the history of Goa where in 85 year old Dora de Souza was to chain herself in front of the mining company in defence of Goa’s mountains and water.

Protest began around 9.30 am when Dora de Souza accompanied by her daughter Cheryl de Souza Sanfransisco and her relative Rita Fernandes chained them on mining road in front of the gate of the mine operated by Dinar Tarcar of Panjim. This created blockade of the transportation of the mining trucks. Officials of the company came and enquired as to why the women had chained themselves to which Cheryl replied that she is protesting to what is happening to Goa because of mining. There were also one more woman present with the protestors Shashikala Devidas. The men included two cameramen - myself and Karush Canteenwala from Pune and Selesian Priest from Sulcorna Fr. Mathias D’Cunha.

At around 10.45 am Cheryl’s around 8 year-old-daughter Akki Sanfrancisco joined the protesting group. Around 11.30 am one mini bus full of People came from Colamb to support Maina protestors. There must be around 40 people that came in this minibus. Around 25 of them were women. They went and joined the protesting team.

Group of truck drivers and members of public gathered and was observing the proceedings as the way protest was going on. At around 3.10 pm group Police jeep came from Quepem Police station. It contained around 20 police personnel of which some were female police of the constable rank. Police party was led by Quepem Police Inspector Santosh Desai.

He came out of the Jeep along with other and advanced towards the protestors and asked them to move away from the scene. Cheryl de Souza refused to move and in fact told him that they are protesting against destruction of Goa’s hills due to mining industry. She also said that she had petitioned every authority she could think of but all of them have been extremely unkind and unresponsive. Only after that she has taken drastic step of chaining themselves up in front of the mine in Mina.

Then PI Santosh Desai withdrew along with the police party and went and stood around 15 meters away from the protestors – on the edge of the public tarred road. Then unruly crowd that had gathered on the main road began shouting abusive language against the protestors. They demanded that their daily loss of income from ore transportation due to road blockade be compensated by the protestors. Then they began abusing Cheryl for creating trouble by chaining themselves up. Then the group began to grow boisterous and began threatening violence.

I notice Balli Zilla Parishad member Subhash Phaldessai - whom I knew earlier when he protested against bauxite mining at Public hearing held at Fatorpa Shantadurga temple hall earlier this – amongst the unruly crowd. In fact he was the one who was leading the band that began violently attacking Casim – man who drives Cheryl’s car- on the tarred road. I saw he was being beaten up and police was watching from far. Then I saw Robert Pinto – body guard of Cheryl’s daughter Akki Sanfransisco being beaten up through blows on his back and head and forehead. Even as he mad an attempt to run away crowd led by Subhash Phaldessai, ran to beat him up even further. Cheryl unchained herself at this juncture and chained her daughter and moved towards police and asked them as to why they are silent spectators when all this violence was unfolding in front of their eyes. Unruly crowd then pushed Cheryl as she tried to rescue Robert with mouthful of abuses.

While all this was going on Ashok Naik, mining contractor came to the fore and demanded to know as to why Colamb people have come to Maina. He along with
others started hurling abuses on Colamb villagers. They told them to get out from the scene and go away in their bus if not their bus would be stoned. Colamb group began to move towards their bus.

Group of unruly crowd then went over to Cheryl’s two cars that were parked on the main road and began stoning. One person tried to puncture the front right tire of one of her cars.

Then same group indulging in violence led by Subash Phaldessai attacked Fr. Mathias D’Cunha. First they used filthy language on him accusing him of having irresponsible sexual behaviour and maintaining sexual relations with large number of women. He is mixing with the protestors in order to satisfy his sexual desires. Then they hit him on his head and shoulders.

Then I was attacked most vociferously by the group led by Subash Phaldessai. Nearly seven people pounced on me giving blows, some pulling my bag – that contained the charger of my video camera, my pen drive with data on it, my notebook with handwritten notes, my telephone diary with contact phone numbers, others pulling another bag that contained my video camera, batteries for the camera, blank tapes and silicon bag for camera moisture absorber. Subash Phaldessai was wearing bright pink shirt, black pant and black shoes. He hit me on my head and I fell to the ground. Somebody then pulled my camera bag with video camera in it. I was kicked again on my abdomen by Subash and his collaborators of violence. Then somebody pulled my other bag from my shoulders. Then Subash got on to my chest and beat me up. He kicked my neck, kicked my head, and then once I fell down he stood up and he kicked me in on my eyes and upper portion of nose that sustained injury. My left hand too sustained injury after I fell down on road. He used right foot to kick me on face with athletic agility. Then somebody pulled me up from the middle of guys beating me up and I realize that it was one of the young police constables in uniform. I wonder why police could not prevent all this violence. I saw my camera has disappeared and tapes were being smashed to pieces on the road itself. Silica bag was torn open on the road.

Then I saw Karush Kanteenwala being beaten. He was very badly kicked on his knees, on his head, on his chest and on his shoulders. They tried to take away his camera through violent blows all over his body. They however could not succeed in doing this.

Then I was proceeding towards minibus of the Colamb people police constable came from behind me and whisked me away. I was taken to the white coloured police jeep and was made to sit. I saw Rita Fernandes, Cheryl de Souza Sanfransisco and Shashikala Devidas was already in the Police Jeep. 85-year-old Cheryl’s mother Dora de Souza was still chained sitting on white chair with her grand daughter Akki Sanfransisco besides her.

Cheryl told PI Dessai to handle her mother carefully as she is a heart patient. PI Santosh Dessai on his part shouted back at Cheryl that he will do what he wants and will teach her a lesson, and Cheryl is free to do what she like to do. Incredible callous highhandedness to support mining industry!

85-year-old Dora de Souza that suffers from Heart problem as well as arthritis was bundled inside the jeep from the backdoor.

The entire operation of October 11, 2008 was planned with careful and consolidated nexus between Balli Zilla Parishad member Subash Phaldessai as ring leader of violence on protestors, mining company and truck operators.

Around 5.00 pm we were taken to Quepem police station. We were made to wait there and were told that we are under arrest. We were surprised that the mining company that is destroying Goa’s mountains and its water sources are allowed to go scot-free while nine of us that includes 85-year-old Dora de Souza, her 40-year-old widowed daughter Chery de Souza Sanfransisco, her 8-year-old Akki Sanfransisco, her middle aged relative Rita Fernandes, Maina villager Shashikala Devidas, Akki’s body guard Robert Pinto, Selesian middle aged priest from Don Bosco Sulcorna Fr. Mathias D’Cunha, 34 year old Karush Canteenwala and myself who is researching on mining theme and also offering solidarity to mining affected communities across Goa since 2001.

Then outside the police station I noticed entire group that had inflicted violence on us gathered. One young men even raised his hand in anger to signal that I would be getting more pasting from him and the gathered crowd. And the chief administrator of violence Subash Phaldessai, Balli Zilla Parishad member was there at the Police station with changed clothes on. He had replaced pink shirt with white Khadi Kurta. Our names were recorded at the police station to complete the necessary formalities for our arrest. We were then urged to take bail by some ‘counsellors’. We refused to take bail application as we were not criminals. All of us refused bail.

Then around 10.45 pm we were taken to Curchorem primary health centre for medical check up. Two policemen were guarding each one of us even while were going to toilet. There at the hospital Fr. Mathias D’Cunha was separated from us and we were told that he was ill and is to be admitted to the hospital right then. Minus Fr. Mathias D’Cunha were brought back to Police station. After some time at around 11.15 pm we were taken to the residence of JMFC Judge at Quepem. There we were persuaded by Hon’ble judge to take bail. Again we refused. Cheryl told judge that she is too ashamed to ask for the bail as Goan woman committing no crime. From here our group split into two. One of three men Robert Pinto, Karush Canteenwala and myself, and second one with four women 85 year old Dora de Souza, Cheryl de Souza, Rita Fernanades and Shashikala Devidas. 8-year-old Akki Sanfansisco was not arrested. Men were told that they would be taken to Margao Judicial lock up while women were told that they would be taken to Aguada Central Jail in Sinquerim, Bardez.

Throughout our stay at Quepem police station several people came and wished us. Shridar Kamat, Adv. John Fernandes and Adv. Mario Almeida were amongst the first to be there. I also could meet people from Benaulim, Sao jose de Arial (Elsie Fernanades) coming and wishing us. Also Fr. Maverick Fernandes and Anabel Gama doing their bit to negotiate with Police. Priests from Selesian society were there to assist us as well though I do not remember any of their names. They performed various kinds of functions such as making phone calls to various concerned people and concerned authorities, informing media etc.

Press that came to Quepem police station questioned me as to what I had to say about the accusations on me put by Subash Phaldessai that I was carrying knives in my hands. I laughed at it but press was not satisfied. They asked my version. I told them that all that I was carrying in my hands was camera that was smashed into pieces by group of anti-social elements led by Subash Phaldessai. There were no knives in my hands and instead I was beaten on my face and on my chest by this group.

We men accompanied by police security of six police personnel were taken to Hospicio Margao for another medical test mandatory requirement before the entry into Judicial lock-up – we were told by Police. One form was filled by the doctor and our signatures were taken on the same. I remember when doctor asked me about my profession I answered him saying “media”. He promptly looked at my phase and asked me as to what was my crime. I told him that our crime was that we were filming protests against mining wherein 85 year old grand mother had chained herself in front of the mining company’s operations in Maina. I told him that same is the ‘crime; committed by Karush Canteenwala, a filmmaker from Pune.

Then we were taken outside Judicial Lockup to hand over to three of us to judicial custody. It was at 1.00 am by the time we were admitted to Judicial Lockup. Sleeping policemen had to get at this unearthly hour to receive three new convicts! Jailor was not around when we reached there. He was phoned and called. After he came over found himself shocked to meet three of us who even though being offered bail by the person of the rank of judge herself, we had rejected and marched our way into Jail. He warned us that this ‘foolish’ action on our part will leave bad remark on our carrier. He said as per requirements of the jail rules, we will be required to be photographed like any other criminals and all the records preserved for future. And he further warned us that this ‘foolish’ action of us is going to loose our prestige in society! Then he began asking our names and other details. At one point he started asking about our caste. Robert feigned ignorance, then Jailor explained the meaning with his personal example. He said “hanv Mahar! Meaning ‘I am SC’. Then Robert replied that he is ST. Jailor refuse to accept this and register saying that this will go to higher level, and instead registered him as ‘Sudir’! Then he asked me my caste and I feigned ignorance too. Then he remarked “I wonder how you Catholics don’t know your caste” and I looked at the register but could not notice what he actually wrote.

Our belongings, such as cash, purse, cell phones, ornaments etc were taken at the registration counter. They were put in the small box and we were told that they will be given back while we leave Judicial Lockup as per law. I did not have any major belongings as most of my belongings were confiscated by the violent group in Maina itself. All that I had in my possession was watch on my wrist and mobile phone that I was told to switch off as soon as I entered the Judicial Lockup.

We were asked if we had our dinner. We honestly did not have our dinner not even our lunch for that matter. We were living on few bananas and samousas given to us at police station by friends that came to meet us. It was 1.45 am by the time the formalities of our entry into Judicial Lockup got over. Jailor asked us if some money had. Robert Pinto had some extra change as he had exchanged few dollars before finding his way with us so he gave Rs. 150/- to the policemen who promised to look out for food in Margao at such an unearthly hour. We then were led into a short narrow lane and asked to pick up our beddings. We picked up. Then we were shown way to our place inside Judicial Lockup. One huge policeman opened big lock and let three of us in a space around 50 meters attached with Television and Toilet. As the iron door opened most of the sleeping jail birds got up to see who these new entrants to their species were. Those who woke up we went and shook hands and introduced ourselves and they told us their names as we did. As we were having mid-night introduction with our fellow jail mates’ policeman came with three packets of food for us. One Vegetable fried rice, One Chicken fried rice and one egg fried rice. Robert and Karush did not eat anything. Only I ate little bit of Egg fried rice. To those of us who were fed up with shifting of our green mountains to China was served Chinese food in the wee hours of the morning of October 12 2008. Just then one of the cell mates shouted at everyone to sleep and everyone covered their faces.

After three hours there was loud noise outside the cell and all our prison colleagues got up fast. They told us to get up too. We got up not knowing what is going to happen. They someone told us to sit with them in 3 rows and it were 4 am in the morning and it is time for ‘Ginti’. Soon three policemen including one armed entered our cell and began ‘Ginti’ meaning counting to make sure that none of the convicts has escaped in the middle of the night. Then at 5.am it is time for breakfast. We were given cups and plates before entering the prison and these cups were used for early morning breakfast. One cup milked tea and two breads is what the breakfast is all about. Though I suffer from high acidity I still took tea and finished both the bread s I was feeling hungry. After breakfast we went to sleep again.

Prison inmates are highly organised lot. Self organisation has taken deep roots in the cell in which 3 of us were put up in. One inmate ordered Karush to sweep the floor ad clean the toilet. In all the humility Karush did this. Later on while chatting informally with my criminal colleagues did I realize the secret behind such a clean prison cell. The cell was so clean that it was fit to host any meeting of civil society gatherings. Duties are well specified as to who will clean and do other duties on which day if new entrants do not come. In case new entrants like we 3 come then what is going to be our responsibility towards prison upkeep etc. I came to know that every new entrant that comes will have to do cleaning job everyday for three consecutive days. After this prison seniors take turn to clean everyday. It is this way that they are keeping their cell so clean. Its cleanliness truly bowled me over! In the afternoon when Karush was again asked to sweep, I went up to him and took his broom away and cleaned the prison cell myself. Joy of this activity lied in the fact that your own fellow prisoner is telling you to do this and not the policemen.

In the afternoon we were served lunch - a decent meal I must say – Fish, curry, rice and some vegetable. We had our first full-fledged meal inside the lock up. Throughout the day FM radio as well as television was on with Doordhashan and its news channel as the only two options. Remote lies with the jail staff and prison inmates get it on request. All male cell occasionally comes alive when female actress would make appearance on the screen. Then TV sounds comes alive and FM radio music is switched off in rudimentary style of connecting and disconnecting wires manually across the wall - to listen to the female voice. Female actresses on doordarshan are the only females that make their presence felt on the prisoners’ psyche inside the prison lock up. Otherwise female contacts are highly restricted – as good as banned – unless some female relatives come to visit prisoners in the lockup.

We encountered people inside of various shades and characters. One of them looked sickly – his legs has grown so very frail - but kept himself active. Didn’t have real heart to ask what the crime that they committed. One of the prisoners was very articulate and said he was in Jail because of Murder. There were few more because of this deadly crime in jail as well. There was one case wherein Police found him sleeping on the Margao railway platform, he was picked up and was loitering inside the lock up for the past six months or so. Police and law have been absolutely unfair towards migrants from other states in India. Migrants are just picked up and brought to Jail. Jails have to remain fully populated – perhaps! There was another middle aged man Anton from Quepem also in my cell, don’t remember why he was there. And news of our entry into Judicial Lockup spread into other cells too. Few prisoners came and met us and inquired about our crime and they were confused whey we told our story. One young boy from Calangute serving his 26 month jail term for kidnapping and murder of a businessman came and inquired about us. He was fair with fluent English language on his tongue. I asked him about his journey to jail and he with benefit of hindsight regretted what he did in collaboration with his friends and now convinced that he has to be there till his jail term gets over. I don’t remember his name – perhaps Ryan Pinto – he was pretty knowledgeable about mining industry and I was impressed with his knowledge. He told me Dinar Tarcar is not a big mining magnet but he is on the verge of making it big.

But there were quite few inside almost all the prison inmates treated us very well - almost like their family members – guiding us through ways of prison. And so the jail staffs was kind to us never committing any excesses or beating up that I had heard and read about over the past few years. Overall behaviour of Police at Margao Judicial Lock up was cordial and co-operative towards us. We are thankful to each one of them. We are also thankful also to each of our fellow prisoners for all their warmth, support and guidance on prison ways. The chief jailor told us that this is the first time in his life as a Jailor he has some creatures that has refused bail and forced their way inside the prison. He tried to break the code as to why we were in but he could not. Finally he concluded that we are bunch of fools that he does not have to waste his precious energy thinking about. But I am sure he kept thinking of us!

On 12 October we had quite a few visitors – Adv. Jatin Naik, Durgadas Gaonkar, Dr. Dumo, Dr. Bikram Dasgupta, Floriano Lobo, Fr. Bismarck, Adv.John Cardozo, Adv. John Fernandes, Sandeep Azrekar etc. They came with good wishes and few suggestions. Also planned our release from the Jail by taking few signatures on formats was best understood by my lawyer friends.

After lunch we slept but my fellow prisoners were engaging in all kinds of pastimes. Group of four had got themselves as players to play carom. There is a Carom board inside the prison cell. This carom board is placed on reversed bucket which then serves as an elevator for the Board to play. Other engage themselves in physical exercises of various kinds like one guy was standing on his hands with legs pointing towards the sky that you cannot see from the prison. Other guy indulging in push ups and still other guys taking stroll in ten meter long prison cell. Privacy is absent. It is possible only when you enter toilet inside the cell. And this toilet is kept absolutely clean. Few of them invited us to play Carom with them. Unfortunately two of us my self and Karush are not at Carom as much as we are on our threatened video cameras, so we did not join the play team. Robert Pinto joined the play party. This gesture from the prisoners made us feel at home. It sent our tensions high in the air. And just when Robert playing there was call from the cops on duty some visitor for me – I went out to see my Goa Su-Raj Party President Dr. Sinai Dumo and Secretary Floriano Lobo – then I requested them also to call out Karush and Robert so that I could introduce them to my Party leader. The introduction was done inside the Margao Judicial Lock up. Few new introductions happened here. Few discussions took off here. And judicial lockup was now transformed into university classroom with lessons of its own. Floriano gave me the copies of few postings he did on goanet in my support. One was when BSNL and other State intelligence agencies in unauthorised manner were collaborating to tap my phone calls to Rama Velip in Colamb, Sanguem. My cell phone by the way is tapped quite often and I am aware of it every time it is done! And the second one was press statement condemning my arrest by Goa Police while protesting against mining in Maina.

Just as both of them left after few minutes of discussions and support to us. We went inside our cell guided by the Police on duty. However soon Karush and I discovered Robert was missing. We contemplated various things as to what could have happened to Robert. Why he did not join us back to the prison cell. Is he being separated to harass and torture? Or could the police be asking some money from his collection of cash? Several thoughts crossed our minds. Karush then went into Toilet to answer nature’s call – both the number one and two. I found Karush suddenly relaxed as he moved out of the toilet. Just before he could move out Policeman opened the gate of our cell and let Robert in. I went towards him and asked him as to why he was held back by Police what went wrong. Robert surprised me: he told me that he was worried too when he was asked to wait alone there. But police told him that he had a visitor and visitor was his wife. Most of us arrested we had informed our families about our new status in struggle. Robert fearing panic at his family back at Parra, Bardez refrained from informing his wife. However his intention to keep his arrest as secret became headlines on October 12, 2008 newspapers and Robert’s name was mentioned as one of the arrested activists. There you are – Robert got transformed by media as activist overnight with receipt of the blows on his body by the gang led by Subash Phaldessai and colluded so aptly in all this by PI Santosh Dessai. His wife came to know about her beloved husband and came searching him all the way to Margao judicial lock up. By the way searching us was not an easy thing to do. Lot of people knew that were at Quepem Police station. Quepem Police station would not tell correct information till you probe them deep.

It was around 4 pm in the afternoon on October 12 and we again head loud sound outside the prison cell. Everybody got up with lightening speed. Covered their beddings and came and sat in the middle again in three rows. I knew it was ‘Ginti’ – counting time again. Three cops entered the cell one with riffle to shoot in case any of us try to escape by overpowering jail stuff – I was told something like this happened and some prisoners escaped and ever since jail administration had tightened itself – one of the cops commented on us “those three guys are new entrants” another one replied “Yes. They were brought here during last mid night because they refused bail. They are from Save Goa.” I realized amongst cops we had identity. We were from “Save Goa”. One particular policeman who was driving our jeep advised me at least 25 times to take bail and continue the movement from outside. “You cannot do movement from outside.” He kept repeating as I smelled he was little drunk but well within control to drive police jeep. There was another cop who came from Quepem Police station accompanying us to Margao in the middle of October 11 midnight that was curious about Karush as to why he has come all the way from Pune to Maina, Quepem to offer solidarity and film protest. Karush got in with lengthy discussion with cop on how mining is fining up Goa and its water sources and why people of Goa must got up and revolt against mining. Cop was even more curious know further stuff but time in Jail so regimented that you really have to move on all the time. Karush gave the cop blog id http://www.mandgoa.blogspot.com/ for his further reference. Cop was thankful to Karush and said he is going to go and refer to the blog right away during mid-night. Even cops, their families and even Police stations as well as judicial lockup and Aguada jail is what is going to be severely affected with water shortages if we do not ground menacing mining trade in Goa. 86% of Goa’s population is under mining threat according to 2008 National best teacher’s awardee Ramesh Gauns.

It must be around 6.pm – I could hardly know correct timings inside prison cell in the absence of clock inside – when dinner was served on October 12 2008. Everyone got their dinner and covered it with days newspapers that carried news about protests in Maina and our arrests. We showed the news to all the interested prisoners. They read it with interest but could not gaze as to how much they understood as there was no occasion to discuss it the topic any further as three of us thinking of getting out of jail. Warm food enticed me and I took my dinner at 6 pm itself. I and Karush took our dinner together. Robert covered his food with newspapers for the late night. After our dinner we were relaxing as one of the room mates invited me to play with him. “Will you play Ludo with me?” I said “sure!” he went on to get Ludo board but could not find it anywhere. His inquiries found that it has been passed on into the neighbouring prison cell. So that was end of our play opportunities inside the lock up.

Then I came to my temporary place inside the prison that was very close to the door and lied down. Few prisoners started making signals towards me to make proper organised beddings for myself. I was not apt at all and struggled for a while. Then one of the prisoners Casim got up and came to me, took possession of my beddings and began wonderful folding that created warm cushion under my back. I was surprised to see the way he connected pieces of clothes in his hands and prepared fabulous bedding. I was very happy at his gestures. All other prisoners gave him supportive looks at his feat of helping me. I was now with proper bedding. I was now fully part of Prisoner camaraderie in Jail. Didn’t knew how fellow prisoners would take it if I thank them loudly, vocally, I gestured in my expressing my gratitude of bedding. It was not just bedding that was grateful to the prisoners about. It was the way the entire group has developed adaptability to new comers but also ability to make them feel at home, teach them quickly the ways of jail and befriend them with actions.

I remember when our dinner were being served were with visitors and our jail mates washed our plates, and received food on our behalf and kept it covered, kept it warm. I realized for the first time that humanity exists even inside prison cell and do have love and warmth to share in spite of all the crimes of various kinds we might have committed or accused of being committed.

After another hour or so around 7.30 pm Policeman came calling 3 of us again and told us that someone has come to restore our freedom away from Margao Judicial Lock up. We shook hands with each other, and then shook hands with every fellow prisoner, thanked them for all that they have been to us for the past 20 hours. Policeman was waiting at the door and messenger of freedom was little away. It was Sunday and we were being released on bail. Sunday is most difficult day to get bail and efforts of some friends of us had attained the impossible in the police terminology.

Jailor was around with our lawyer friend and several other policemen. We signed some documents and our possessions were returned back to us. I got back my cell phone and also my watch. Robert and Karush got back their belongings as well. We were free by 7.45pm and then went straight to Aguada jail to free 85-year-old lady Dora de Souza, Cheryl de Souza Sanfransisco, Shashikala Devidas and Rita Fernandes. As soon as we landed at Aguada jail we were greeting by police men on duty. We were told that Old lady has been throwing tantrums inside the jail and demanding Milk as her food. Then authorities took her out most part of the night into hospitals and now van was about to come to take her to Goa Medical College, Bambolim. Ambulance has been called with the wireless message. “And the old lady abused us policemen, she called us dogs. It was very humiliating for us. We do our duty and we are getting treatment like this. This is not fair.” We just nodded our heads while policeman was speaking so much about the old lady. I understood that Aguada’s Central jail was badly affected with old lady in it. Lady attended was sent in to get four arrested women out. Even though she went and came quickly out she had so much to tell about the Old lady. “Prison is not for the people like her. At 1.30 am Old land forced prison authorities to put her on phone as she has to speak to Fr. Mathias D’Cunha and complained about bad condition of jail.” I understood the tension very well. I tried to make phone call from Margao Judicial lock up and I was told that it is against law to make phone calls from the Prison. The old lady had not only violated laws in Maina by trespassing, rioting and unlawful assembly, she has again violated prison laws by forcing herself into making call to Fr. Mathias D’Cunha at Curchorem Primary Health Centre under arrest; hospitalized due to supposedly low blood pressure. The entire narration about the Old lady was concluding perhaps that she is a chronic violator of law and deserves to be life member of Central jail in Aguada.

And then three ladies climbed up the steps from the way so close to Arabian Sea shore. Old lady was missing. I gathered that she was in position to climb the road to Calvary and she is resting below on the exit way. Then we came out of gates and spend few minutes sharing our experiences. “You know one woman was screaming in the night. None of us could sleep. These are the women who had committed murders – mostly of their husbands; one murdered her daughter’s rapist. 26 of them and we were four of us. I swear they are half mad hard core criminals and old lady was scandalized to hear so many of them so casually speaking about murdering their husbands. But I’ll tell you they understood our concerns. They became my friends. They understand mining is ruining Goa and we must fight.” This is what Cheryl first said when she first came out of Aguada Central Jail.

This has been the voyage from Maina mining protests to getting beaten up by mining mafia to getting arrested to our refusal to take bail to our entry into prisons and then back to freedom again. I personally feel glad that I have been able to play my tiny role in offering my support to ladies – old and young – all out to defend Goa from mining loot. If our prison entries are going resolve Goa’s looming water crisis then at least I am will to march into the jail again and again without any heed to my prestige and respect. For me water – the source of very life on earth - takes priority over my personal prestige and respect. First time I entered Jail on the October 11 2008 mid-night at Judicial lockup Margao, I remembered and whispered in Karush’s ears “You know Karush Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 27 long years that too most part in Solitary confinement for his fight against Apartheid in South Africa. He is one of my inspirations in struggle”. Of course the course of my actions from here remained forever changed.

Sebastian Rodrigues

2 comments:

Shaweta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shaweta said...

My heart goes out for all protestors, who had the guts to rise above themselves, think of the future and take up this issue of mining and how it's killing the environment.

You know, the funny thing is that these miners or industrialists think only of the money they will make, which they wont even take with them when they die...disconnected from their internal selves, they are oblivious to the beauty of nature and merits of letting the air, water and greenery exist the way it is. It's very sad that they do not calm down (and slow down profit calculations in their heads) to notice that they are linked to nature very intimately too.

for instance, air polluiton can travel to various places, like polluted river water can. it can also seep inside fields that produce food even they eat! that won't be far when they'd get health issues just because the food they ate came from fields close to mines!!!! the rate at which mining is spreading, is a very sad reflection of the insensitivity of human beings, and at what cost? ...

why don't more people caculate the long term costs everyone will have to eventually pay due to mining...it's not just about people who live close to mines though ill-effects will show up first in them...hey but no one's safe, if that's an assumption...three cheers for all the protestors!!!
shaweta